Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells, Wait! What?!

I can't believe that it's almost Christmas time. I know, it's not even Thanksgiving yet, but I can't help but already feel stressed! All day I have been thinking about what I am going to get for everyone on my Christmas list. That is not what Christmas is about, and I think it takes a lot of the joy out of Christmas. Don't get me wrong, I believe that the children should get to open their gifts from Santa (another word meaning overworked, stressed out parents!) and from parents/grandparents/friends. But when it comes to grown-ups, come on y'all, why can't we just get together, eat too much, and celebrate the true meaning of Christmas. Why do I have to stress about what gift I'm going to get someone who has everything they could possibly want and enough money to buy it if they don't already have it? It's so commercialized. It's obvious that I'm not the only person that feels this way or the stores wouldn't be stocking their shelves with "gift sets" full of nonsense items that are just going to end up being yard sale material or clutter for a junk drawer. What if we saved the money we would spend on Christmas, didn't go into debt, and enjoyed just spending time with each other. Now, there's a thought!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We only buy for the kids in my family. Me and my sister do not exchange gifts or anything. Now we do give My Mom and Step Dad $100.00 but they also give us the same thing. LOL