Friday, October 3, 2008

Little Girl

Many afternoons Kaden and I stop at the store on the way to get Rylan. You know, you're always out of milk or bread or something. He likes to buy chewing gum when we are at the checkout counter. He buys a different kind almost every time and he always asks, "Mom, is this the one you liked when you were a little girl?" - it actually comes out as "wittle gwurl", but I know what he means. But he really has no idea about what life was like when I was a little girl. I mean, to him, everyone has always had video games, dvd players, even microwaves. Times change so fast, and times will be a lot different when my grandchildren are Kaden's age. I remember when my Great-Grandmother was alive, she passed away when she was 93. It's only been about 3 years ago since she passed. I often thought of how life must have been when she was a little girl. Of course there was no tv, no dvd, no microwaves, but think about it, there were no automobiles, no electricity, no telephones. What did she do when she was a little girl? Have you ever thought that maybe that's why marriages lasted longer and family bonds were stronger, because they spent more time together talking and sharing than fighting over who's gonna play the XBox? They may have been considered poor, but were they really? There's a house in Dothan where, at any given time, there's 20 people sitting on the front porch. I've said to Robert on numerous occasions "What are they doing out there?" His reply was "Why should they go inside? They have no tv, and if they do, they have no cable tv. They probably don't have air conditioning. Why go inside?" and then he said "You know, some of the best conversations are being had on that porch right now." He's right. When is the last time you sat down with anyone and had a conversation without the television on or a computer in front of you. When is the last time you had a conversation that wasn't, at least partly, had via text message? We need to get back to the old ways. I didn't have cable tv until I was in high school, and we didn't have a paved road to drive down, but I wasn't poor. I was richly blessed!

1 comment:

Anna said...

Tracy!! I just found out you have a blog! yea...now I can "stalk" you! haha Those boys are so cute!